Who is a Gauss Buddy?
Gauss Buddies are dedicated students from all fields of study who are interested in cultural exchange. They volunteer to mentor one or more international students especially during their first steps in Braunschweig and to provide support to solve their everyday problems.
I’m an experienced student/resident and I’m interested in the Gauss Buddy Program…
- You want to practice your foreign language skills and develop intercultural competences?
The program is designed to make it easier for foreign students to get started with their studies and their life in Braunschweig. Thereby by joining this program you will have the opportunity to join an international network comprising both local and international students while learning new foreign languages. Ideally, you should be at least in your second semester and be a dependable contact for your international buddy in Braunschweig.
- You want to get socially involved and receive a certificate of participation?
Qualified certificates of participation are issued at the end of each semester. For active participation you can earn 3 ZiK points in the Ambassador Component.
- If I am not enrolled at the TU Braunschweig, can I still participate?
YES! It is not necessary to have special expert knowledge, but rather about providing support and show the international students what Braunschweig has to offer.
- What are the advantages of the Gauss Buddy Program?
Both local and international students will have the opportunity to meet and know people from all over the world with different cultural backgrounds. The main purpose of the program is to provide a platform for cultural exchange. By participating as a buddy, you can gain exciting experiences and meet international students who come from different cultures.
Your task as a Gauss Buddy
- After registering for the Gauss Buddy Program and joining a short counselling session, you will be assigned to a team. The communication within the group takes place via WhatsApp.
- You will get in touch with your international student(s) before their arrival in Braunschweig and answer their first questions about studying and living in Braunschweig.
- You will pick up your buddies from the train station and accompany them to their apartment.
- In the first weeks you are the “contact person” for the international students and should offer orientation assistance, such as opening a bank account, registering at the Foreigners’ Office or the Registration Office, etc. You can also help international students by answering their questions about studying and living in Braunschweig.
- In addition, you can participate with your buddies in our events, such as the First Steps Program.
When and how can I register?
You can register online at any time. After the consulting session, we will try our best to contact get you in touch with your buddies as soon as possible.