Health Insurance

Do I have to get a German health insurance?

If you belong to one of these groups, you must have statutory health insurance in Germany:

  • Trainees and students (under certain conditions)
  • Employees whose salary does not exceed the annual salary limit
  • Recipients of unemployment benefits

If you’re already insured in an EU-country, then you don’t need to get a German health insurance. You can go directly to the doctor with your EHIC (European Health Insurance Card). You can get the respective certificate for the enrollment at the university from a statutory health insurance company (e.g. Barmer).

Coverage area of EHIC: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK.

The following countries also have a social security agreement with Germany: Bosnia-Herzegovina (BH6), Croatia (D⁄HR111), Macedonia (D/RM111), Montenegro (Ju 6), Serbia (DE 111 SRB), Turkey (A⁄T11) or Tunisia (A/TN11).

BARMER: Your health insurance for a healthier life

BARMER is one of the largest statutory health insurers in Germany and stands for high-quality and innovative medical care. It offers excellent onboarding services (multilingual). A special newsletter accompanies you through your first year. Videos help you understand the German healthcare system. You will have your own personal English-speaking contact person. Family members with no income are covered for free.

More information here.