Gauss-Telegraph: 17 international people in Braunschweig – Mingma Sherpa
by Yasaman Kafshi
- Where are you from?
I’m from Nepal. Nepal is located between India and China.
- When and why did you come to Braunschweig?
I first worked as an au pair in Germany in 2014. After that I decided to study here. First, I took language courses and now I study Educational Science at the TU Braunschweig.
- Which hobbies do you have?
My hobbies are listening to music, meeting friends, shopping, visiting the city and I love to dance.
- Which Problems did you have since the beginning of your stay in Germany?
At the beginning, the culture was very different for me compared to my home country. Here you always have to make appointments and that was a bit difficult for me. But with time I got used to it. Now I like to make an appointment with friends before we meet. I also had many difficulties at the beginning of my studies. For example, how to register for events, how to work with Stud.IP etc. I did not know what to do.
- Did the Gauss Haus helped to solve some of these problems in some way?
Yes, someone from the Gauss Haus explained everything to me about studying and he helped me a lot.
- Would you like to tell other international students about your previous experiences in emigration to Germany?
Yes, absolutely. When you come to Germany, everything is completely new with a new culture and I would like to share my previous experiences with others.
- Did you do voluntary work before?
Unfortunately, not. In the future, I would like to do some volunteer work. Right now, during the Corona period I am engaged in shopping for older people.
- How did you find out about the Gauss Haus?
In the first week at the university I got a bag and there was information about the Gauss house. I was also informed about the Gauss Haus through a friend.
- Since when are you active with the Gauss Friends?
Since a few years I am active in the Gauss Haus and since March 2020 I am working on the project as HiWi.
- Which activities did you take in the Gauss Haus?
I did a presentation about Nepal and now I am working on online events.
- How did you like your tasks in the Gauss Haus?
I enjoyed that very much. The people are friendly and helpful. If there were difficulties with the tasks, the others helped me.
- What is your favorite event or activity in the Gauss Haus?
My favorite events are the lectures and the cooking workshop. I also like the dance class very much. I also find the library tour and the Bremen tour very interesting.
- When and what was your best moment in the Gauss Haus?
At the moment we have a German language regulars’ table every Monday. This meeting is online and I like it very much.
- Did the Gauss Haus help you make new contacts?
Yes, I have made friends with many people from different cultures.
- Was there already an event about your country in the Gauss Haus? If so, what did you think of the evening?
Yes, I presented Nepal and there I showed a video about the Nepalese kitchen. The others liked it very much. I was feeling very happy that I could tell about my country and my culture.
- Are there any such international projects at the universities in your home country? If so, please tell me about it.
Unfortunately, not. There are not as many international students in Nepal as here.
- Would you recommend the Gauss Haus to other international students??
Yes, of course, I always do that.
- What do you think are the strengths of the Gauss Haus?
I think it’s very nice that you can learn about other countries and experience their cultures. There are a lot of events and information that are helpful for students.