Gauss-Advent Calendar: Christmas Drinks
by Yassi Kafshi
In the USA and England the Eggnog is part of a perfectly prepared Christmas.
The Americans call it “Eggnog”, the French call it “Lait de Poule” and in Mexico it is known as “Rompope”. The classic version consists of eggs, milk, cream and rum.
With this vegan and alcohol-free eggnog recipe you can enjoy the creamy Christmas cocktail anyway. The eggs and milk must only be replaced by the cashew nuts and milk alternatives, like soy, almond, cashew, oat or coconut milk.
Ingredients for 4 servings
- 125 g cashew nuts
- 350 ml almond milk
- 175 ml coconut milk
- 3 dates
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 vanilla pod
- First, put the cashews to soak in water overnight.
- Then drain the water and puree the cashews together with almond milk, coconut milk, dates and cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom and the pulp of half a vanilla pod in a blender.
- If you prefer to enjoy the drink warm, put all the ingredients in a pot and heat everything gently at low temperature – stirring regularly so that all the spices dissolve in the liquid.
- Serve cold (on ice cubes) or warm, decorate the drink with cinnamon and enjoy.
- 1 shot of espresso
- 200 ml almond milk
- 1 tbsp melted chocolate
- Peppermint extract
- Crushed peppermint candy
- Optional: Soy whip cream
- Optional: Chocolate sprinkles
- Make one shot of espresso in the coffee maker. Alternatively, you can use instant coffee with a higher intensity.
- Pour the milk into a heat-proof jar and shake for around one minute. Take off the lid from the jar and warm up the milk in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Add the melted chocolate and peppermint extract to the coffee and stir well.
- Pour in the milk (foam). Add some soy whip cream on top and serve with chocolate sprinkles and crushed peppermint candy on top.
In many countries of the world punch is a must-have for the winter season. Punch is actually everything that is served in bowls or punch bowls with or without alcohol and above all, usually with fruit in large quantities.
Ingredients for 6 servings
- 1 organic orange
- 1 piece of ginger (fresh)
- 1 liter apple juice (naturally cloudy)
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- 1 star anise
- 2 cloves
- Rinse orange, dry and peel thinly.
- Squeeze the orange.
- Peel and slice the ginger.
- Boil apple and orange juice, with orange peel, ginger, cinnamon, star anise and cloves. Remove from heat and let steep for at least 30 minutes.
- Pour the punch through a fine sieve, reheat if necessary and serve immediately
Which drinks do people like in your country during winter season? What is your favourite drink during winter? Share it with us in the comments!